Clothes Washing In Waterford During the Mid-1800's
- Bild fire in yard to het kettle of rain water.
- Set tubs so smoke won't blow in eyes if wind is pert.
- Shave one hole cake lie sope in bilin water.
- Sort things in 3 piles, 1 white pile, 1 cullord pile, 1 pile werk briches and rags.
- Stur flour in cold water to smooth, then thin down with bilin water.
- Rub dirty spots on bord scrub hard, then bile. Rub cullord but don't bile, just rinch and starch.
- Take white things out of kettle with broom stick handel, then rinch, blew, and starch.
- Spred tea towels on grass.
- Hang old rags on fence.
- Pore rench water in flower bed.
- Scrub porch with hot sopy water.
- Turn tubs upside down to dry.
- Go put on a cleen dress smooth hair with side combs, brew cup of tea set and rest and rock a spell and count blessins.
Reprinted from a Waterford Foundation booklet