History of Waterford
This web site is not a definitive site providing all the history of the Waterford. Rather it is a collection of articles that give an overview of the village's history. In over 250 years, Waterford experienced the arrival of farmers, the formative Civil War years, the growth of an agriculture industry, its stagnation, and then its preservation as a National Historic District.
Waterford was founded about 1733 by Amos Janney, a Pennsylvania Quaker. Other Quakers followed him there. Mills were built along Catoctin Creek. The village grew until it was the second largest town in Loudoun County (this was before the Civil War). More »
Special thanks goes to the Waterford Foundation for their continuing educational efforts which have provided the background for some of the articles on this web site.
See also the History of Loudoun County web site
About the annual Waterford Fair